The Social Security Administration (SSA) is responsible for the claims process for both Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). An Indianapolis Social Security disability attorney can assist you in navigating this often confusing process.
The submission of a claim for eligibility for either of these programs requires strict adherence to rules and requirements. Additionally, there are deadlines that must be met. In reviewing your claim, the SSA will look at both medical disability criteria and non-medical criteria to determine whether you qualify. Generally, you must prove to the SSA that you have a medical disability. Then, you must show you qualify based on work credits (SSDI) or low income and assets (SSI).
How an Indianapolis Social Security Disability Attorney Can Help
At Barnes Caldwell Law, we understand how urgent your Social Security claim is. You need information quickly. We have extensive experience handling disability claims and assisting people just like you in navigating the claims process. We will be honest with you about your claims process and whether or not you have a valid claim.
Attorney’s fees in disability claims are paid only if we obtain a successful claims process for you. The maximum fees allowed are the lesser of $6,000 or 25% of benefits you were already owed.
- We are a small law firm. To us, you are a person, not a number. We will give you the hands on personal attention your claim needs from beginning to end. Larger firms or firms that market to the masses just want your business and may not be invested in you.
- Our attorneys have a long history and community ties to Indiana. We have Midwestern values and will work tirelessly for your claim. Not only that, we are conscientious, follow through and most importantly approachable.
- We will listen. You might be hurting from physical or mental limitations. When you come to us for help we will take the time to understand your limitations and concerns.
- Over 50% of claim applications are initially denied, the majority for technical reasons. As experienced attorneys in this specialized area of law, we can eliminate these common mistakes and minimize reasons for the SSA to deny a claim. We regularly file claims for people just like you. We know the process and pitfalls.
How Do I Apply for Social Security Disability in Indianapolis?
You have three options for submitting your claim to the Social Security Administration:
- Online if applying for SSDI. You cannot complete SSI applications online.
- In person at your local SSA office. If you wish to complete your application in person, you will need to call the agency at 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment. The representative will then give you additional instructions about date, location and necessary paperwork to bring.
- Completing an application via telephone. First, you should contact the SSA directly at 1-800-772-1213. They will give you a date and time for a return phone call. At that time the SSA will prepare your application. After completion of the telephone call, they will then mail you the application for your signature. Once you return it, the SSA will process it.
We can assist you with the application, by advising you about the process, but you actually have to submit the application yourself, or have your legally appointed representative submit.
Contact an Indianapolis Social Security Disability Attorney
The Social Security claims process is complex and can be frustrating. We can review your case and advise you as to whether you have a claim. Contact Barnes Caldwell today for a free consultation.